Please contact Howard Curtis directly for specifications on this opportunity.
416 224 0500
As a Product Engineer, you will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing product engineering requirements for new and existing products. You will also work closely with the US Sales Team to develop new business opportunities for the Company.
As a Product Engineer, you will report daily to the Product Engineer Team Lead in Atlanta. You will also interface on a regular basis with the Engineering Manager who is located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
This position is ideally suited for someone who is flexible and adaptable, who can work independently to achieve results, and is used to wearing multiple hats within a small engineering team.
Other Responsibilities will include:
• Lead product engineering for new and existing products from conception to production and product launches
• Modify and make improvements to existing drawings on repeat orders
• Develop 2D and 3D drawings for new product designs
• Develop or modify Bill of Materials (BOM’s), create part numbers; prepare costing sheets, and complete engineering change requests (ECR’s)
• Determine material requirements for new designs or recommend (source) alternative materials for existing designs
• Design and develop electronic patterns and markers using Investronica (a computerized cutting system) for repeat orders and new designs
• Design, create, and coordinate first articles, product samples, and engineering prototypes
• Provide internal technical support to the shop floor (assist Production with the interpretation of customer drawings and specifications)
• Provide external technical support to Sales through field visits, customer meetings, and design development and progress review meetings
• Liaise with internal departments to ensure that technical information is communicated, documented, and that designs are created for manufacturability and repeatability
• Develop and maintain product documentation for new and existing products including drawings, specifications, BOM’s, and all design changes throughout the development process
• Initiate and drive engineering continuous improvement plans to eliminate waste and cost in all product designs
Dual or US citizenship preferred, but not essential.
• Previous hands-on experience in patterning, markers, and computerized cutting
• Ability to work on multiple projects at any given time, within various market segments, all with competing deadlines
• Ability to recommend, implement, and deliver continuous improvement and cost reduction initiatives
• You must have a strong attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accuracy in your calculations and documentation
• You must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate with all levels of employees (including cross border facilities), as well as customers
Educational and Work History Requirements:
• Post secondary education and/or College Diploma in Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing or Textile Engineering
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in Product Engineering with a strong background in drawings (2D and 3D), product design, costing, BOM’s, test data, and certifications
Other Assets Include:
• Previous Engineering experience in the aviation industry (i.e. aircraft interiors, AS 9100, and working knowledge of FAA requirements)
• Previous work experience in the seating industry (i.e. automotive, rail, marine)
• Previous work experience in an industrial textile environment
• Previous work experience with Government contracts and bid submissions
• Experience with PPAP and APQP is a definite asset