Company Profile: Our client is a multi-brand, multi-license outerwear, apparel and accessories company. With an in-house design department producing all types of headwear, apparel, outerwear and accessories, the client creates, manufactures and distributes for many of the world’s leading brands in the sporting goods and fashion industry.
A cold weather outerwear and accessories brand started in 2007. Since its inception, Known for its unique combination of fashion features and functionality, the brand has grown and emerged as a premium international brand that is being currently distributed in over 15 countries, with growing brand and marketing exposure.
Through its various divisions / subsidiaries, specializing in the design, manufacturing and distribution of lifestyle and entertainment licensed apparel products and accessories. A position within this organization would truly be an exciting opportunity to be part of a high-energy creative environment that caters to a diverse roster of international brands.
Overview: The Outerwear Designer will work closely with the Creative Director in the Design Dept., to assist in managing the development of outerwear from design through to final production approved garment.
• Assist in the creative design process, oversee outerwear design and development, build theme/inspiration boards, develop product presentations, specs/tech packs, trims, labels and raw materials as necessary.
• Maintain proper execution of the outerwear product development cycle.
• Create factory ready spec packages that include all information needed for development.
• Maintain daily communication with production to help facilitate accurate developments and manage through change.
• Offers support and guidance on fit, pattern, and technical product execution.
• Assist team with communicating fit corrections after fittings as necessary and problem solve where needed.
• Partner with Production and Sourcing to coordinate all raw materials needed for proto making, testing and stock.
• Evaluate points of measure and grade rules regularly to be sure factory specs are complete and consistent.
• Maintain daily communication with partners in sourcing to help facilitate accurate developments and manage through change.
• Assess quality of fit direction and use of photos and sketches to ensure tech pack consistency.
• Organize raw material testing to be sure materials are passing quality standards at the trim level as well as at the garment level.
• Travel to factories and Sourcing offices as needed for fittings, proto reviews and department meetings.
• Assist through all stages of development (lab dips, trims, raw materials approvals) while closely monitoring calendar timing to meet seasonal sales meeting and on time bulk deliveries.
• Complies with company policies and procedures (subject to change) and performs any and all other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Required Skills and Abilities:
• Minimum 7+ years design experience in the outerwear industry.
• Formal apparel design education and experience is mandatory.
• Strong understanding of technical design, pattern making and fit – an asset.
• Strong understanding of Outdoor/Technical product.
• Knowledge of down-filled outerwear/products - an asset.
• Excellent prioritization and time management skills.
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation and communication skills.
• Extensive knowledge of software tools as required (Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite which includes Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Excel) as well as all related tools necessary for efficient apparel design output.
• The ability to switch gears and generate concepts and specs for many different industry specific projects on a daily basis.
• To have an understanding of various types of fabrics, yarns, knitwear, and raw materials.
• Knowledge of colour theory, upcoming trends, market research, and the ability to create innovative outerwear/products above and beyond industry standards.
• A diverse portfolio underlining strengths in various categories would be a great asset (Ex. apparel design background, ability to pattern draft, cut and sew, production knowledge)