The purpose of this position is to provide informed perspective and a local point of view on local consumer needs as well as market dynamics, cultural influencers, general trends and general competitor intelligence. The Merchant will support the building of assortments and the development of a regional product line for a single category/segment with moderate complexity and/or volume or multiple classifications with low complexity and/or volume.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Analyzes and interprets selling/consumer data: - Prepares competitive analysis, performance data, marketplace trends and seasonal requirements to inform regional/global line arch - Participates in Floor Walks
• Attends Component Review & Final Line Assortment meetings - Reviews global/local assortments and provides feedback including soft gaps to Regional Merchant
- Builds local assortment from the regional/global line that reflects market/consumer segmentation, internal/external financial metrics, brand equity and product code productivity targets
- Creates seasonal brief to include product assortment, suggested pricing strategies, product line volume and profit guidance, initial margin targets, and growth opportunities.
• Facilitates and leads Pre-Sell meetings
- Directs Pre-Sell showroom set up to communicate monthly messages, key looks.
- Reworks assortment based on drops/changes, production/delivery/quality issues and determines viable options
• Manage information and systems
• Sample Management/Sales Tools: - Provide direction to SF-Regional Coordinator to Order Commercial and Ad samples (Marketing, PR, Customer, BP samples)
- Receiving, follow up, tagging and distributing in a timely manner; maintaining merchandising sample racks and sample rooms; coordinates and labels samples for Sales including Agents
• Pricing: Work closely with manager to determine wholesale and retail pricing based on market, comp, US pricing, internal/external margin requirements; utilizes Financial Adopt template, obtains approvals, communicates to Brand Finance, Sales, Sales Tools Manager, Retail
• Drives cross-functional accountability:
• Formulates seasonal product/price strategies, provides input & aligns on AFP
- Collaborates with Store Development to execute brand vision i.e. monthly messages, key looks
- Adopts global/local Go To Market (GTM) activities; informs Global GTM calendar and Commercial Ops calendar and CA key stakeholders
• University/College degree in Merchandising, Business, Marketing or other related fields.
• Minimum 3 years of Merchandising or Buying apparel experience, with a proven ability to deliver commercially viable product lines that fuel brand health and profitable growth.
• Ability to read and anticipate market trends and incorporate these into leading product lines that meet sales and profitability targets.
• Business/Financial acumen – understands impact of product costing and margin requirements.
• Thorough understanding of apparel merchandising and Canadian retailing.
• Thorough understanding and working knowledge of garment construction, fit and fabric.
• Understanding of domestic and off-shore sourcing.
• Understanding of product/brand positioning (pricing, advertising, promotions, packaging/product presentation).
• Good influencing, problem solving and negotiating skills.
• Effective interpersonal skills to develop productive relationships with other LSC functions and with Global partners.
• Superior organizing, priority setting and time management skills; uses time and resources effectively and efficiently.
• Credible, clear communicator and presenter of his/her product plans to various levels of the organization and to external contacts.
• Drives for results and effective execution for self and when working with others.
• Questions status quo in order to improve product line presentation and processes.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Proficiency with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Travel Required (%): Approximately 10 - 15%
• Primarily works in an office environment.
• Extensive computer use.