The Product Development Manager is responsible for planning and developing new flameless candles and accessory products for brands and retailer private labels by managing the product development process from definition of product need through to initial production. The Product Development Manager will also maintain product specifications to reflect changes to product and packaging, balance cost and quality/features to develop products that will be competitive in the marketplace.
The Product Development Manager will create and source products that meet the needs of our customers, proactively and in response to requests, taking direction from the Head of Global Product Development with regards to priorities, timelines and launch dates.
• Monitor and stay abreast of current trends and participate in market analysis to provide PD and Marketing guidance for color, style, functions and trends
• Be an industry expert regarding design, features and retail pricing of flameless candles to keep the company in a leadership position.
• Will require occasional travel to China.
• Provide leadership to cross-functional team to define and actualize the retail product line.
• Create and develop new products utilizing patented technology, designed to meet customers’ needs
• Manage and prioritize day to day workload, with guidance from the Head of Global Product Development, in order to meet established timelines
• Establish individual project timelines working with a detailed process/tracking system that ensures PD is prioritized, on time and consistently tracked against identified targets/milestones
• Provide regular status updates by project to the Head of Global Product Development, highlighting and escalating issues as required
• Communicate with accounts and manage all aspects of their business strategy with respect to specific vendor requirements, new product directions, samples & quotes, pricing, Power Point presentations and new trends
• Work with offshore factories on a daily basis, providing all information needed to produce product without error and trouble-shooting as required
• Work with QA to provide evaluation criteria and ensure product meets established quality and specification parameters.
• Develop clear understanding of 3rd party lab testing requirements by customer and product type in order to advise and direct factories accordingly. Track said testing to ensure timelines are being met.
• Work with brand, category, customer, cost, and volume guidelines to support product launch strategies.
• Communicate with Engineering on a regular basis to ensure all technical information is correct and up to date.
• Establish design direction and target costs for home décor accessories. Source these items off-shore, working with factories to meet creative guidelines and negotiate final costs.
• Other tasks as assigned
• Undergraduate university degree plus 7+ years of creative design and product management experience within the home décor working with colors, fashion trends, and a variety of materials or giftware industries
• Experience in materials such as glass, metals, resins, ceramics, and wood
• The ability to identify trends, use your creativity/eye for design to launch a concept plus the discipline to \'make it happen\'
• Passion for developing new products and drawing inspiration from current trends
• Knowledge of China manufacturing and sourcing environments
• Experience with cost and retail price analysis
• Experience with managing people and projects
• Experience motivating and managing cross functional teams
• Combination of analytical and creative work experience
• Provides solutions by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
• A detail oriented mind and superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, balance conflicting tasks and manage internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to manage and execute multiple projects and assignments effectively
• Utilizes decision making skills to achieve specific organizational objectives with consideration given to their impact on the entire cross functional team.
• Ability to adapt to change, to work through and resolve ambiguous situations and able to work independently
• Communicates with clarity, verbally one on one and in group situations, and in writing by composing clear documents and emails for both company colleagues and factory counterparts who do not speak English as a first language.
• Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) to produce effective reports, documents, spreadsheets and presentations with an above average proficiency in Excel
• Experience using Solid Works to design; draw products ideas and concepts
• Valid passport for travel to China