The Designer will work closely with the Creative Director in the Design Dept., to assist in managing the development of outerwear from design through to final production approved garment.
• Assist in the creative design process, oversee outerwear design and development, build theme/inspiration boards, develop product presentations, specs/tech packs, trims, labels and raw materials as necessary.
• Maintain proper execution of the outerwear product development cycle.
• Create factory ready spec packages that include all information needed for development.
• Maintain daily communication with production to help facilitate accurate developments and manage through change.
• Offers support and guidance on fit, pattern, and technical product execution.
• Assist team with communicating fit corrections after fittings as necessary and problem solve where needed.
• Partner with Production and Sourcing to coordinate all raw materials needed for proto making, testing and stock.
• Evaluate points of measure and grade rules regularly to be sure factory specs are complete and consistent.
• Maintain daily communication with partners in sourcing to help facilitate accurate developments and manage through change.
• Assess quality of fit direction and use of photos and sketches to ensure tech pack consistency.
• Organize raw material testing to be sure materials are passing quality standards at the trim level as well as at the garment level.
• Travel to factories and Sourcing offices as needed for fittings, proto reviews and department meetings.
• Assist through all stages of development (lab dips, trims, raw materials approvals) while closely monitoring calendar timing to meet seasonal sales meeting and on time bulk deliveries.
• Complies with company policies and procedures (subject to change) and performs any and all other tasks as assigned.
• Minimum 5+ years design experience in the outerwear industry.
• Formal apparel design education and experience is mandatory.
• Strong understanding of technical design, pattern making and fit – an asset.
• Strong understanding of Outdoor/Technical product.
• Knowledge of outerwear/products - an asset.
• Excellent prioritization and time management skills.
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation and communication skills.
• Extensive knowledge of software tools as required (Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite which includes Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Excel) as well as all related tools necessary for efficient apparel design output.
• The ability to switch gears and generate concepts and specs for many different industry specific projects on a daily basis.
• To have an understanding of various types of fabrics, yarns, knitwear, and raw materials.
• Knowledge of colour theory, upcoming trends, market research, and the ability to create innovative outerwear/products above and beyond industry standards.
• A diverse portfolio underlining strengths in various categories would be a great asset (Ex. apparel design background, ability to pattern draft, cut and sew, production knowledge)