Product Developer/Designer- Health & Beauty (Product and Packaging)
Date Created: June 2021
Reports to: VP of Design and Product Development
The Graphic Designer/Product Developer is responsible to design, develop and support the execution of Line Plans through awareness of market trends to incorporate that align with the Client position in the market.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Trend Research and Implementation– 40%
• Utilizing a number of resources that include WGSN reports, sell through data, sales history, fashion publications and competitive shopping, research and determine trend direction for each upcoming season;
• Collaborate with sales to understand past success/failures, customer requests and customers’ needs;
• Identify gaps and opportunities within current product offerings;
• Shop both locally and internationally to review the competition’s product offering, to find newness, innovation and incorporate emerging trends;
• Continuous identification of new product inspiration by thorough understanding of product performance, and competitors’ assortment, of existing and new customers;
• Communicate product recommendations that includes relevant themes and color palettes, to differentiate Brands from competitors and promote value to customers;
• Assist in the identification of product assortment and line Framework.
Design and Development – 50%
• Prepare design documentation for new products and components such as drawings, standard specifications and compliance requirements;
• Brainstorm and conceptualized new product ideas;
• Ensure on time samples that meet design intent and brand quality standards;
• Negotiate costs with vendors to ensure margin requirements are met at style and category level;
• Lead research and development of new fabrics/construction techniques to support company initiatives that deliver quality items while delivering optimized margins;
• Participate in the inventory replenishment process to ensure that core and best-selling items are reordered in a timely manner;
? Support internal presentations of trend direction;
• Monitor sample production until final approval from customers;
• Create original prints, graphics, packaging and collection pages ensuring artwork reflects design;
• Develop package specifications that include scale and detail sketches using Illustrator and Photoshop, along with fabric swatches, comp samples, color palette and any compliance requirements confirming packaging style suits the item;
• Request and review samples and new artwork, evaluating the quality of material, construction and match of originals;
• Maintain an extensive library of past samples that includes both bought and developed for future development purposes;
• Design unique product and full collections for both our in-house lines and private label clients based on needs and trend direction verifying the items fit seamlessly into the collection, meet the customer needs, and not redundant within the greater assortment;
• Assemble most current samples for use at sales meeting and trade shows; create a line sheet for all products.
Vendor Relationships – 10%
• Communicate with vendors on a daily bases regarding the production
• and sampling of current, past and future production; including addressing production issues, sample
• comments, fabric and sample requests, trend review and requests, deadline notifications and follow
• up on initial costing requests.
• Source new manufacturers;
• Meet with current vendors, determine the factories capabilities, discussed streamlining our
• communication and requested suggestions on how we can work better together, reviewed our trend
• direction, reviewed production problems and determined solutions, selected fabrics and items to
• develop for upcoming season, sample shopped the show rooms and local markets.
• Monitor production costs to enable delivering best value for customers.
? Post-secondary education in Design;
? Minimum of 5 years design and product development experience, ideally in the Health & beauty realm, but not mandatory
? Ability to work in a complex, dynamic, fast- paced, demanding environment
? Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
? Advanced proficiency of Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Photoshop; proficiency in Clo3D is an asset
? Demonstrate knowledge and results in merchandising and assortment planning
? Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully communicate across various audiences internally and externally
? Excellent time management with deep attention to detail.